Google+ Super Mom on the Go! I Can’t Homeschool Because I Work Full-Time... | Made By Renee

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Super Mom on the Go! I Can’t Homeschool Because I Work Full-Time...

I used Grammarly to grammar check this post, because I didn't have the time to check it myself!


If you're like me, you're a busy Super Mom on the go. I work 50+ hours a week and come home to cook, clean, feed the family and homeschool. I'm also a blogger. Like you, I have a lot on my plate! Not that I mind - I love every minute of it (except cleaning the bathroom).


For many reasons, we are very passionate about homeschooling our son. Even though he is only 3, his reading and mathematics skills are on a 2nd Grade level. He thrives with one-on-one attention and and we feel very strongly that we would end up holding him back by sending him to school.

Most families require two incomes to support themselves, and that means both Mom and Dad work full time jobs. Time Management is everything. Of course, we are very blessed that my husband is able to work from home, but we still have to manage our time as efficiently as possible.

Tips for Homeschooling while working full-time:
  1. Don't do the "normal" school schedule. If you work the typical Monday - Friday job, have school during the evenings and weekends. If you work evenings, have school during the day. Be creative! With homeschooling, you can (and should) be flexible. Whose family is normal anyways?
  2. Choose a curriculum that is right for you. I don't have a lot of time to put together curriculum, so we will be choosing one that already does this for us. There are plenty of online courses as well.
  3. Another way I will be helping myself with time management is by using tools like Grammarly to proofread essays and academic papers. As my son progresses in his writing skills, Grammarly will grammar check and help improve text. This is something I could do myself, but even Grammarly thinks I have a strange writing style, and using clunky handbooks to grammar check takes a lot of time.

Do you have any tips or words of encouragement for Moms and Dads who are struggling with the whole work/homeschooling thing? Leave a comment below!

This post sponsored by Grammarly.com.  All opinions are 100% my own.

Love, Renee

5 comments:

MikiHope said...

I have absolutely no advice on how to allocate your time--you sound like you have it pretty much under control.

miranda leigh said...

i cant homeschool because i dont have the patience.

Jennifer said...

Homeschooling doesn't work for us for a variety of reasons, but time really isn't one of them (much more patience related than anything else, lol)...if anything, I love the flexibility that homeschooling allows. Nights, weekends, improptu field trips, etc. Our local parks have a program where they open one or two days a month just for homeschoolers, because who wants to read about animals & plants in a book if you can go out and actually see them? Great post!

Sharon Martin said...

First of all you must be totally exhausted all the time, how you manage I don't know x Both my boys go to public school but for me even finding time for homework with all my different jobs is hard. The only tip I can say is to be totally strict with yourself, don't let over things take over the time that you are supposed to be homeschooling, be prepared to say no I can't do anymore now and focus on the schooling x

lilyk said...

These homeschooling tips are very interesting. I would use Grammarly for checking my grammar in my email messages.